https://www.robclare.comRob Clare is an internationally recognized specialist, who has taught or directed Shakespeare in Ireland, India, Austria, Germany, Australia, China, and the USA. His freelance work includes coaching the core acting ensembles of the Royal Shakespeare Company, the Steppenwolf Theatre Company, and Britain’s leading repertory company, The Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester. In the US he has been visiting faculty at UCLA, The Juilliard School, Yale, USC Los Angeles, CSU Long Beach, CSU Los Angeles, and NYU Tisch (both graduate and undergraduate acting). As a director, his most recent production was Troilus and Cressida (UCLA), pictured above. He is currently planning to tour King Lear to underserved communities in the Los Angeles area. For a complete biography, or to book individual coaching, or in-person workshops for smaller, self-selected groups, visit Rob’s personal website:
- Step 1: Welcome!
- Step 2: Getting Your Bearings
- Step 3: Virtual Class Best Practices
- Step 4: A Technical Note
- Work together on monologues of the participants’ own choice. Practical strategies for finding creative freedom and personal expression, when dealing with heightened language, complex and apparently archaic vocabulary, and verse. With discussion.
- Class Recording - 9/16/2020
- Further work on the initial monologues, and on selected shared texts, to show that what may seem to be challenges are in fact creative opportunities. With discussion.
- Class Recording - 9/23/2020
- Work on further monologues and/or scenes, as assigned and as appropriate. With discussion.
- Class Recording - 9/30/2020
- Continued work on further monologues and/or scenes, as assigned and as appropriate. With discussion. Closure and course summary.
- Hermione and Lucrece
- Class Recording - 10/7/2020
- Work on second monologues and/or assigned scenes, as appropriate.
- Class Recording - 10/14/20
“Rob Clare has a profoundly intimate relationship with Shakespeare's characters. They feel like family.”
“Rob Clare gives creative freedom to every actor in the room. A real gem!”
“Do you want to appreciate the text on a granular level? Would you like to rock out, while holding a madrigal in your heart? All this can be yours if you study with Rob! So do it! You will not be sorry!”